Sunday, January 1, 2012

Shoe Review- Saucony Peregrine

     I thought I should start my running shoe review series with the shoe I have probably put the most miles in this year, though the Altra Instinct is a very close second. A review of the Instinct (and Lone Peak) will be forthcoming.

Peregrine, all dolled up for photo shoot.

     The Saucony Progrid Peregrine is a neutral trail shoe built as a new model in February 2010. Following on the heels (my bad) of the wildly popular Kinvara, the Peregrine is loosely a trail version of that shoe. With a 4mm drop from heel to toe, relatively light weight of just under 10 ounces (for my size 10 pair) and a fair amount of firmer-than-soft cushioning the Peregrine makes a fine choice as a daily trainer for runs of any distance. A deeply lugged outsole provides flawless traction in all conditions I have encountered, including mud, wet wood, mossy rocks and snow, and other than perhaps ice I can't imagine traction ever being a concern with this shoe.

And after many miles in the real world. Those lugs offer superlative traction.

     The fit is pretty typically Saucony, and by that I mean average length, a fairly snug heel and form-fitting midfoot, and (for my foot) barely wide enough forefoot. In fact the forefoot of the Peregrine is narrow even by Saucony standards and was initially a problem significant enough that I nearly ruled the shoe out.Wanting to try and make these otherwise promising shoes work I swapped the insoles from an old pair of unused shoes and cut the forefoot off to allow more room for my foot, and that worked great. As the shoes loosened up with use I was able to replace the original insoles and they now have a comfortable fit overall.

##Update##  I recently got a second pair of Peregrines on super cheapo close-out and after a short debate got the same size as this review pair. I was a little worried about a repeat of the narrow-ish forefoot problem I describe here but didn't want to go up to a too-large size either. Thing is, this new pair-they fit great right out of the box. The forefoot is plenty wide and the shoes are ridiculously comfortable. After a muddy trail run just now they aren't new any more, but they sure do fit and ride well and I'm very happy with them. I've heard of variances in color and fit with different pairs of the same model shoe but this is the first I've noticed it. But- is the narrow pair or this pair the 'normal' example of the Peregrine?
##UpdatedUpdate##I can now say with confidence the wider forefoot is the norm, and my first pair were an exception. So all I said about it being narrow- just ignore that.




Insole I cut to provide more forefoot room until the shoe loosened up enough.


     The Peregrine rides very well with enough cushion to be comfortable for the longest runs I can manage. Comfortable enough also for a short run on pavement, they worked well on snow-covered roads last Winter. I have put many trail miles on my pair while alternating pretty equally with the Instinct since late last Winter, through the Summer right up until now, nearly a year's use. The 4mm drop is a real sweet spot for me and along with the forefoot rockplate, I have found the firm cushioning to be just the right amount to strike a good balance between protection, comfort and conservative weight/height.

     Until recently light weight trail shoes were a contradiction, but now there are an ever-increasing number to choose from as manufacturers feed the desires of their market. As a trail runner with a self-imposed 10oz weight limit it's great to see so many choices. The Peregrine, despite its narrow forefoot, has worked very well for me but before I replace these with a new pair I'm waiting to try some other new models- Merrell Mix Master on the way as I write, Saucony is apparently making a direct trail version of the Kinvara, Asics has the Fuji Racer,  Brooks recently busted out with the Pure Grit, and I'm so far really enjoying my New Balance MT110's also.

     The Peregrine retails for $90. Saucony will update with the Peregrine 2 in March.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I totally stalked on your blog before you announced it - exciting! Can't wait to see what other goodies you have to share Craig! :) We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can't figure how you even found it! I've learned a lot from your blogs and others and figured I might have some things to give back to the universe. We'll see how that goes- most days I have more ideas than time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would highly recommend the Saucony Peregrine to any serious trail runner. I have no complaints about this shoe. They are a joy to wear.

    ReplyDelete