Monday, January 16, 2012

Shoe Review- Merrell Mix Master

     Next up in the shoe review series is the Merrell Mix Master, a new neutral trail shoe introduced just this past December, and one I was looking forward to soon after reading of it. It has many design features I thought would work very well for me, and you know what? They do!

Merrell Mix Master- black and blech.
     I don't know a lot about Merrell, my experience with them is limited to a pair of their Trail Gloves introduced early last year, which I also like. Both shoes are very well made and the fit is fairly similar as well. Pretty standard length, close fit in the heel, fairly full midfoot that wraps the arch area snugly and a wide forefoot. This is a good design that provides a secure overall fit that keeps the foot stable in the shoe when going downhill, yet still allows plenty of room for natural foot movement within the shoe while landing. This can be a tricky fit to achieve, and Merrell seems to have it nailed. In fact I was a little worried my usual size 10 might be a little big, but now that they have settled in I feel the fit is about perfect.

The forefoot feels wider than it appears here. Magic! 
     My size 10 weigh in at 8.45 ounces which is great as it is, but they feel even lighter when running. It's neat how some shoes do that, so even better. The 16mm heel and 12mm forefoot make for another 4mm drop shoe, one of a growing number among varying manufacturers. It's my sweet spot and must be for others as well. The midsole is firm but offers enough cushioning to easily handle all the trail conditions I have seen so far. A big test for me is how rocks feel both under the forefoot and landing on one with the heel, especially when going downhill. While you can feel the surface beneath your foot, other than really sharp pointy rocks that would be a problem for any shoe the Mix Masters take them well in-stride. (Oops) There is a rock shield in the forefoot for added protection, yet the sole is very flexible as well and the overall ride is very smooth as a result.

How they look to the trail. The forefoot rock plate is visible as the orange dots.
     Traction is another big test for me as I need to really trust my grip on the ground in all reasonable conditions. Otherwise my gait stiffens and trouble soon ensues. The Mix Master has terrific gripulation on par with the Saucony Peregrine, which I consider flawless in that regard. I have run uphill and down in loose gravel, mud, wet rocks and wood, and just today in the snow and have never slipped once, so yay! In fact I looked at my tracks in the snow and noticed the lugged treads have a sort of swirling pattern that flows from heel to toe. Then I realized I was getting all "A Beautiful Mind" and staring at my tracks, but I thought it was interesting.

Traction galore!
     Overall I really like these shoes and they are even improving with wear after about 35 miles. They are well made and I anticipate they should last at least comparably to most shoes and likely longer than most. I wouldn't use them for long road runs even though they are touted as such, (thus the 'Mix Master' name) but that's maybe just me. I was hoping these would fall between the Peregrine and NB110 for weight and protection and that's just about right. Not sure yet if they will replace the Peregrine as my ready-for-all-conditions/distances daily shoe but that is my plan for now, and I'll update this with further experience.  So far the only negatives are the color, not being a fan of weird green, and the name, which makes them sound like a kitchen appliance. In short, no complaints so far.

     The Merrell Mix Master trail shoe retails for $110. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Craig:

    My Sifu bought these shoes for taijiquan because he thought that they would "breathe" well due to the mesh. However, after 40 days of wearing the shoe for taijiquan, both shoes developed holes in the mesh where the foot and toes flex on near the outside edge . He returned them to the store and is awaiting hearing from Merrell about replacement or refund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just emailed Merrell customer service about this and they said they will give a full refund if your shoe develops holes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a pair of these Mixmaster shoes on clearance and same happened to me after 20 days (tearing in the fabric). I returned mine today and exchanged for Waterpro Ottawa's. The mixmaster 2 does address the fabric issue by using and more traditional mesh fabric around the body of shoe, so they have realised their error and corrected.

    ReplyDelete