Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"You've got to have heart, miles and miles and miles of heart"...

    

     One of my stated goals for the year is to run 2012 miles, after coming pretty close last year without really tracking it. 2012 divided by 12 = 167.6 , and times 5 = 838.3, so my current year total of 800 with two weeks left in May is slightly ahead of schedule. Hmmm....2,100 miles?  2,500? A million? We'll see.

     I took last week off of work for my annual Spring Staycation and, as always, really enjoyed that. I got caught up on house and yardwork, read a couple of books, enjoyed the first season of Game of Thrones, and had my first 70 mile week. Off Monday, 8 on Tue and Wed, both productive form-specific runs on the flat gravel of Moon road, 20 on Thurs with Cliff as he readied for his 5/20 marathon in Germany, easy 4.5 on Fri, Dances With Dirt trail half on Sat, and 15 on Sun. Counting the previous weekend of the Indy Mini and 12 the following day I recorded 95 miles in the last 9 days, certainly an all time high for me.

     And I'm happy to say that for the most part all is well, knock on wood. Other than the races it was all moderate pacing at best, and other than the usual complaints from my corporeal chorus, no real problems. Yes! I'm encouraged by all of this and excited for the rest of the year. In a fit of glee I signed up for two additional marathons in the Fall, the Air Force in Dayton, and the Monumental in Indy, so I now have a full in Sept, Oct and Nov to look forward to and plan for.   

     Still experimenting with the heart rate zone training and am watching the results, but don't really have enough yet to measure any effects. I do believe in the science behind it and expect to see continued improvement. One thing I have noticed is how little fuel I need, even on long runs. During the Carmel marathon I used one gel and only drank water. That gel was more preventative than need, and looking back I don't think it was really necessary.  During these last 9 days I also only used one gel at the end of the 20 miler to try a new brand, which I didn't like. Part of the reasoning behind heart rate training is that it 'trains' your body to use more fat than carbs for fuel, and that sure seems to be the case, though of course a slower pace also consumes less fuel. This is great news for me though, because I've never really liked using gels and so far have yet to find one that doesn't leave me feeling bloated and gross.

     Not sure how to summarize this rambling post. Take time, run long, listen to your heart.
     Up next- Run With the Foxes trail race!

No comments:

Post a Comment